And it Strikes Again
I was on the phone calling different apartments because we're moving and me being the "like to have sh*t in order" type of person I am wanted to make sure the move would be smooth. As some may know I speak Ebonics and even when I'm talking in my most "proper" voice, ain't like I can hide the fact that I'm a North American Afrikhan. So of course when I talk to strangers on the phone my "blackness" comes thru, because . . . . I'm BLACK. *chuckle*
With that being said, I started calling folks trying to get information on the availability of some apartments. Since we're a family of six, ain't like we gonna camp out in a 2 bedroom or some studio loft. And many times the larger units are not available since they are so far and few and folks who living in them ain't moving out every 6 months. So I'm trying to avoid camping out in a hotel for months on end. Because like I told my hubby, it's fun in theory but in practice hotel living SUCKS.
So anyway, I'm searching and running into problems from jump because many complexes don't have what I need, like space AND a simple amenity like a washer/dryer in the unit. Very important when you have a 6 person family. With that, I'm finding my choices are few. And I panic easily so that's not good for me. Well, I called the first apartment on my list. They seemed nice enough and extremely helpful. Of course they didn't have the size apartment I wanted but offered up another, that would suit my needs. They said they'd email me more info and told me what I needed to do if I wanted to hold the apartment. I was happy and thanked them. I then called another apartment but no one answered the phone. So I kept it moving. I then called yet ANOTHER apartment and was informed that since they are close to some city that I can't remember the name of, that there's an "ordinance" about the number of people that can be in an apartment. I understand stuff like having 10 people in a studio and what not. But I didn't know there was a problem with 6 people in a 3 bedroom. I was told, no more than 5 people. So after hearing that I'm starting to get scared because there's SIX of us. *sigh* Well I call my next apartment that seemed to have the space I needed and was told that the size I wanted wasn't available. By then a few of my children could be heard in the back ground and the baby was a tad cranky sitting on my lap. The lady I spoke too was the only contact person listed on the website so I figured she knew her stuff and would be helpful. And let me explain just how "helpful" she was.
After she told me they had NO 3 bedrooms available in their building, I told her we were a family of six. Well she became SUPER "helpful" then. By telling me there was an "ordinance" about how many folk could be in a 3 bedroom and that "let me give you the number to our sister property." Because as she stated, "they have REAL 3 bedrooms." And they usually have alot available. Well for some reason upon hearing that I was NOT happy. Even tho the lady was being "helpful." I couldn't verbalize it then but something about what she was saying didn't feel right and I felt like she was trying to "shove" me off onto another building. But I write down the number she gave me anyway and even called the property. No one answered the phone so I decided to do some research on my own. And this is what I found.
The property she'd giving me the direct number too, was one that had come up on my search list previously but it was one that I didn't think would suit our needs so I didn't print out it's info. Okay, fine. Then when I contacted the helpful property again regarding the email and application process and I found out that ALL these properties were actually sister properties. And the the REAL 3 bedroom sister property I was referred too was ALOT smaller than the other two properties AND the dayum building has income restrictions. Well lots of buildings have that. But how many have restrictions limiting the amount of money you MAKE? Meaning if you earn more than let's say $35K annually for a family of 2 people, then you CAN'T live there. *lookin into camera* And there's nothing wrong with that, sh*t. Nobody wants to pay high azz rent or mortgages if they don't have too. What got me when I saw that was WHY would ol girl "refer" me to a SMALLER apartment then any of the 2bedrooms in her building? And why oh why would she think my family would meet the the income restriction guild lines? I mean really, even when I was a broke azz teacher in Oakland, I made more than $35K a dayum year and I didn't even have children. Sh*t I made more than that when I was still in college and an admin. asst. for UC. But the clincher was when I did a search on the companies website and realized there were 10 "sister" properties in the city that have more than 2bedrooms. However she "choose" to GIVE me the direct number to the one property that we would not be qualified for. Did she ask me how much money we were looking to spend? Did she offer any suggestions on finding the right space for me in "her" building, like the first complex did? Ummm NOT.
And then what I was feeling came to me in words later that evening. She assumed that I couldn't afford to live in the nicer high rise and "helped" me by referring me to one that would suit the needs of someone such as myself, with being a family of 6 and all. Not to mention my azz is home during the DAY time, with my children no less. Wow, what a wonderful sumaritan she is. *clap, clap* I mean really. Please do not let my Ebonics, not "slang", but my tonal inflections fool you into thinking that I'm some false stereo type drummed up by media, promoted thru entertainment and intentionally perpetuated . Because, really I'm not that and truth be told neither is anyone else.
8 Comments:
At 5:25 AM, March 02, 2008,
CreoleInDC said…
Hmmmmmmm. Well she was mighty "HELPFUL" wasn't she?
I say you find the corporate headquarters of the sister properties and call them. Tell the about the assumptions and see where they go. If they know like me...they'd ACK right under the fair housing laws.
Humph.
(that cockeyed heffa)
At 6:47 AM, March 02, 2008,
Anonymous said…
Your babies are soooooooooooooooooooooooo precious. I came over from CreoleinDc's.
At 9:28 AM, March 02, 2008,
Carmell said…
damn she sent you to the projects!!!
ok i got a question for you... why are you looking at downtown apartments??? i wouldn't take my kids down there ever if my grandmother didn't live down there. i hate the city. if you want something expensive you might wanna go to west county. maybe even south county. north county is nice and close to everything but can get ghetto. south county is kind of ghetto in some places. but west county is really nice. i would try to avoid downtown/ the city if i were you. JMO i mean its nice and pretty but the freaks come out at night. maybe its just my scary ass. don't you know St. Louis City was ranked one of the highest crime cities
i see that you called me. i got caught up in some stuff and couldn't call you back.
At 1:00 PM, March 02, 2008,
AR Gal said…
My sister lives in the city...actually Florrisant I think. There were renting out a house at one time. I'll call her and see if it is available and to get some suggestions of other locations where you can check just in case.
At 3:43 PM, March 02, 2008,
Babs said…
With a family of 6 I think you should rent a house. Way more space.
P.S. You're children are lovely.
At 9:04 PM, March 02, 2008,
Carmell said…
@AR gal~ Florissant is nice. no where near the city. thats where i used to stay. its ideal for family. i would live there now if the school system wasn't bad. it was cool growing up but now the schools suck. but i know you're not worried about that since you are homeschooling Aly.
At 10:07 AM, March 03, 2008,
mia. said…
Sorry to hear about the lack of prospects in the apartment hunt. A house does sound like a good idea.
I know everything will work out well.
At 4:51 PM, March 10, 2008,
monicac2 said…
She clearly thought she was slick but did not know who she was dealing with! Bozo!
Post a Comment
<< Home